No Evidence Spill Hit Puerto Galera; Still Open To Tourists

No Evidence Spill Hit Puerto Galera; Still Open To Tourists

Spotlight

How do you feel about this story?

Express Your Reaction
Like
Love
Haha
Wow
Sad
Angry

The Department of Tourism (DOT) said the joint report on the quality of waters in Puerto Galera indicates “no direct link” or evidence that the popular dive destination has been affected by the oil spill from the sunken MT Princess Empress last February.

In a Malacañang presser on Tuesday, Tourism Secretary Christina Frasco said the Department of Health (DOH) advised the public to proceed with caution but “no swimming ban has been indicated, only that concerns have been expressed in the ingestion of water.”

“(T)herefore, our perception of this joint statement is that the Puerto Galera tourism continues to be open, as well as that there has been no direct attribution in terms of the direct source of the findings, considering the presence of other human and economic activities in Puerto Galera,” she said.

In a joint statement dated April 18, the DOH and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) said only nine out of 35 sampling stations it visited across Puerto Galera have met the criteria for water quality guidelines on “oil and grease.”

DOH Officer in Charge Maria Rosario Vergeire, however, clarified that the finding “is not conclusively related” to the recent oil spill.

Passing the quality guidelines on “oil and grease” contaminants are Small Lalaguna and Big Lalaguna Shoreline, Balete, Central Sabang Shoreline, Coco Beach, Batangas Channel, Paniquian, Balatero, and West San Isidro Bay.

Lalaguna was one of the dive sites Frasco earlier visited for scuba diving.

Puerto Galera is Oriental Mindoro’s top-rated destination, contributing to at least 85 percent of the province’s tourism economy.

At its peak, Frasco said the popular diving and beach town generated tourism receipts of more than PHP1.2 billion.

“Notwithstanding the fact that the Philippines only reopened in February of last year, Puerto Galera had already raked in half a billion pesos. And we fully perceive that the recovery of Puerto Galera, especially in terms of domestic tourism is well on the way this year,” she said. “As far as international tourism is concerned, we want to be able to make sure that the viability of Puerto Galera as a tourism destination continues.”

The tourism chief said the closure or “perception of the oil spill having reached Puerto Galera” could spell about PHP5.3 million in daily revenue loss.

“Our effort really in the Department of Tourism is to work very closely with the DENR, the DOH, and other related agencies, including the DILG (Department of the Interior and Local Government) so that we can work hand in hand with the local government unit of Puerto Galera in particular, and the province in general,” she said.

Citing figures from the provincial tourism office, Frasco said the province incurred a little more than PHP900 million in losses due to the recent oil spill.

“And that is why, I think, the most important thing right now, as far as tourism is concerned, is to really ensure the continued viability of Puerto Galera as a tourism destination, considering that no less than 11,000 tourism workers depend on the industry continuing to be open,” she said.

During their visit to Oriental Mindoro on Saturday, Frasco said national government officials, led by President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr., met with several mayors and community-based tourism organizations regarding the livelihood training for the affected residents.

“Magsisimula na po iyong (We will start the) alternative livelihood trainings on April 24 and it will continue until May. In conjunction with this, kasi po concerned iyong ating Presidente sa kapakanan ng ating mga kababayang Pilipino (because our President is concerned about our people’s welfare), especially our tourism front-line workers,” she said.

“We have also agreed with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) na iyong mabibigyan ng (those will be given) alternative training, on one hand, bibigyan po sila ng free na starter kit para sa trainings na matatanggap nila (they will be given a free starter kit for their training) and on the other hand, mabibigyan po sila ng (they will also receive) TUPAD financial assistance,” Frasco said, adding that the Marcos administration is carefully balancing the need to protect lives and the livelihood of residents.

The TUPAD or the Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers is a community-based package of assistance that provides emergency employment for displaced workers, underemployed and seasonal workers, for a minimum period of 10 days, but not to exceed a maximum of 30 days, depending on the nature of work to be performed.

Frasco also thanked President Marcos for continuing to articulate the importance of the tourism industry under his administration, recognizing the massive contribution that it continues to have on the Philippine economy.

Last week, the Chief Executive went to Oriental Mindoro to inspect the oil spill site in the province.

The President then led the distribution of various government assistance to the residents affected by the oil spill. (PNA)

More Stories from Batangas

Latest Stories

Angeles

PBBM Inaugurates Children Medical’s Center In Pampanga

May bagong children's medical center na sa Clark Freeport Zone matapos itong pormal na buksan ni Pangulong Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.

DepEd: Sports Investment Beneficial For Youth Well-Being, Discipline

Patuloy na isinusulong ng DepEd ang sports bilang paraan ng paghubog ng mabuting asal kasabay ng pagkatuto sa silid-aralan.

Vulnerable Limestone Frog Seen In Biak-Na-Bato National Park

Tinututukan ng environmental authorities ang biodiversity conservation sa loob ng Biak-Na-Bato National Park.

PBBM Leads Brigada Eskwela, Health Caravan In Bulacan School Visit

Pinapakita ng administrasyon ang pagtutok sa school readiness, healthcare access, at student welfare programs sa Bulacan.

Bacolod

BBM Scholarship Program Raises Nepotism Issue In Negros Occidental

Village officials ang inabisuhang ibalik ang scholarship amounts na natanggap ng kanilang relatives upang matugunan ang concerns sa fairness ng beneficiary selection.

Bacolod City Conducts Test Run Of Geofenced 911 Emergency Hotline

Emergency response system ng Bacolod ang ina-upgrade sa pamamagitan ng localized 911 hotline na kasalukuyang dumadaan sa testing bago opisyal na ilunsad.

PBBM Leads Rice Distribution To 386K Negros Oriental Families

Rice distribution ang inaasahang aabot sa mahigit 386,000 beneficiaries habang pinalalawak ang food assistance sa iba't ibang komunidad ng Negros Oriental.

77K Negrense Kids Vaccinated In 1st Week Of ‘Ligtas Tigdas’ Campaign

Umabot sa 77,235 children aged six to 59 months ang nakatanggap ng measles-rubella vaccine sa unang linggo ng immunization drive.

BAGUIO

Baguio Eyes Institutionalized Charging Stations During Calamities

Charging access para sa phones at essential devices ang nais gawing mas available sa communities sa Baguio City tuwing may disaster-related power outages.

28K Apayao Families Get Free Rice Via LGSF Program

Pinagsasabay ng rice assistance sa Apayao ang pagtugon sa food needs ng mga pamilya at pagsuporta sa kabuhayan ng local farmers.

Annual Tuberculosis Testing As 5.8K Cordillerans Enrolled In Free Treatment

Community testing ang nakatulong upang mahanap ang mahigit 5,800 TB cases at maikonekta ang mga pasyente sa libreng gamutan.

DILG Reminds Apayao Barangays: BBM Scholarships Must Be Merit-Based

Kakayahan at kwalipikasyon ng aplikante ang dapat pagbasehan ng barangay officials sa pag-award ng educational assistance sa ilalim ng programa.

Batangas

President Marcos Leads Rice Aid Rollout For 16K Puerto Princesa Residents

Pinangunahan ni Pangulong Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. ang pamamahagi ng rice assistance sa 16,000 benepisyaryo sa Puerto Princesa City.

Occidental Mindoro Records 60 Marine Turtle Nests This Season

Mas maraming marine turtle hatchlings ang naitala ngayong season kasunod ng matagumpay na pangangalaga sa kanilang nesting sites.

PBBM Brings Rice Aid To More Than 52K Lucena Beneficiaries

Pinagsama ng pamahalaan ang food assistance at educational support sa mas pinalawak na assistance programs sa Lucena City.

Escaped Flowerhorn Fish Threaten Laguna Biodiversity, Pose Potential Public Health Risks

The spread of invasive Flowerhorn cichlids is affecting the ecosystem and aquaculture activities in San Pablo City's Lake Sampaloc.

Cagayan de Oro

52.9 Percent Of Married Women In Caraga Use Modern Family Planning

Modern family planning methods ang pinipili ng mahigit kalahati ng married women sa reproductive age group sa buong Caraga Region.

59.7K Caraga Households Get PHP119 Million UPLIFT Aid; PHP1.3 Billion Budget Set

Libu-libong households na humaharap sa economic pressures ang nabigyan ng dagdag na suporta sa pamamagitan ng UPLIFT program sa Caraga.

Nearly 1K Dinagat Farmers Get Cash Aid Under PAFFP; More Payouts Set

Halos 1,000 rice at corn farmers sa Dinagat Islands ang nakatanggap ng cash assistance sa dalawang araw na payout ng PAFFP.

Cagayan De Oro Launches Learning Facility On Wheels To Serve Barangays

Lahat ng 80 barangay sa lungsod ang sakop ng “Gulong ng Karunungan,” isang mobile facility na nagdadala ng learning services sa komunidad.

CEBU

Palace Assures Continuous Rice Aid For Vulnerable Families

Vulnerable households ang patuloy na makatatanggap ng rice aid habang sinisiguro ng pamahalaan na hindi maaantala ang distribution program.

DOT-Eastern Visayas Confirms Visit Of 3 Cruise Ships In 2027

Tatlong luxury cruise ships ang nakatakdang bumisita sa Eastern Visayas sa 2027, na magdadala ng mga turista sa mga island destination ng rehiyon.

DOLE Grants PHP3.6 Million Aid To Child Workers’ Families In Southern Leyte

Naglaan ang DOLE ng PHP3.6 milyong livelihood assistance para sa 120 magulang ng child laborers sa Sogod, Southern Leyte.

DOLE Hires TUPAD Workers To Rehabilitate Abaca Farm In Northern Samar

Nakatutulong ang TUPAD program sa pagpapanumbalik ng abaca farm habang nagbibigay ng hanapbuhay sa mga residente.

DAVAO

DepEd: Face-To-Face Classes In General Santos Resume After June Quake

Nagbalik na ang face-to-face classes sa mga public elementary at secondary schools sa General Santos City matapos ang disruption na dulot ng June earthquake.

DSWD-11 Gives UPLIFT Aid To 5.5K Residents In Davao Del Sur, Davao Occidental

Mahigit 5,500 residente ang sakop ng UPLIFT distribution na nagdadala ng karagdagang tulong sa mga komunidad sa dalawang probinsya.

Growers Urged To Boost Production As Mindanao Mango Congress Opens

Mas competitive na mango industry ang binubuo sa Mindanao sa pamamagitan ng better production, value-added products, at access sa mas maraming buyers.

Indigenous Peoples Told: Manage Ancestral Domain Wealth Properly

Mahalagang maprotektahan ang yaman ng ancestral lands upang patuloy itong mapakinabangan ng mga susunod na henerasyon ng Indigenous Peoples.

DAGUPAN

Ilocos Rural Women Celebrate Achievements, Strengthen Livelihoods

Tagumpay ng rural women ang tampok sa Ilocos Norte habang ipinagdiriwang ang kanilang progreso sa livelihood activities at local entrepreneurship.

Ilocos Norte Town Provides Free Insurance To 1.8K Farmers, Fishers

Mas protektadong kabuhayan ang layunin para sa local farmers at fishers na regular na humaharap sa weather-related at financial risks.

Ilocos Norte Eyes 25K Children To Get Vaxxed Vs Measles

Target ng Ilocos Norte na mabakunahan ang 25,000 pang bata laban sa measles at rubella hanggang Agosto 31 bilang dagdag na proteksyon.

23 Teams To Vaccinate 444K Ilocos Children Vs Measles, Rubella

Mula Agosto 10 hanggang 21, nakatutok ang 23 teams sa pagbabakuna ng daan-daang libong bata laban sa measles at rubella.

ILOILO

BSP Brings Financial Literacy Campaign To Antique

Pagbuo ng emergency savings ang mahalagang bahagi ng financial literacy message na inilalapit ng BSP sa mga residente ng Antique.

DHSUD Commits 50 Housing Units For ‘Purok Resilience’ In Iloilo

Socialized housing sa Iloilo ang makatatanggap ng dagdag na suporta sa pamamagitan ng 50 units na ipinangako ng DHSUD para sa Purok Resilience village.

Expo Showcases Readiness Of Iloilo Local Suppliers For MICE

Mas handa ang Iloilo na tumanggap ng malalaking business events sa tulong ng local vendors at stakeholders na bahagi ng MICE ecosystem.

DTI Supports Livelihood Program For Antique PDLs With PHP1.29 Million Facility

Food processing skills ang magiging bahagi ng livelihood opportunities para sa Antique PDLs sa tulong ng bagong shared service facility.

NAGA

BSP Brings Financial Literacy Campaign To Antique

Pagbuo ng emergency savings ang mahalagang bahagi ng financial literacy message na inilalapit ng BSP sa mga residente ng Antique.

DHSUD Commits 50 Housing Units For ‘Purok Resilience’ In Iloilo

Socialized housing sa Iloilo ang makatatanggap ng dagdag na suporta sa pamamagitan ng 50 units na ipinangako ng DHSUD para sa Purok Resilience village.

Expo Showcases Readiness Of Iloilo Local Suppliers For MICE

Mas handa ang Iloilo na tumanggap ng malalaking business events sa tulong ng local vendors at stakeholders na bahagi ng MICE ecosystem.

DTI Supports Livelihood Program For Antique PDLs With PHP1.29 Million Facility

Food processing skills ang magiging bahagi ng livelihood opportunities para sa Antique PDLs sa tulong ng bagong shared service facility.

Olongapo

PBBM Checks Learning Continuity Efforts, YAKAP In Bataan School

Binigyang-diin ng Pangulo ang kahalagahan ng tuloy-tuloy na edukasyon sa kanyang pagbisita sa Bataan.

Over 1K Security Deployed For 33rd Asia-Pacific Regional Scout Jamboree

Authorities tightened security at Kainomayan Scout Camp as thousands of scouts gather for the regional event.

PAGASA To Build Doppler Radar Station In Bataan

Ang bagong Doppler station sa Bataan ay tutulong sa mas maagang pagtukoy ng bagyo at malalakas na ulan.

President Marcos: Lessons Of Past Must Guide The Future

Pinangunahan ni Pangulong Marcos ang paggunita ng Araw ng Kagitingan, pinapaalala ang mga aral na dapat dalhin sa hinaharap ng bansa.